Great news for people who need support with anorexia, bulimia, overeating & other related disorders.
The government is dramatically improving the affordability and access to treatment for these distressing conditions. From 1 November 2019, eligible patients can receive full Medicare rebates (i.e. no out-of-pocket costs) for:
- the development of an eating disorder treatment plan by a GP, psychiatrist or paediatrician
- up to 40 sessions of psychological treatment (over 12 months) with a psychologist or psychiatrist
- up to 20 visits to a dietitian (over 12 months) for either face-to-face services or phone/video call/email consultations
- regular GP reviews of their progress against the treatment plan, and
- a formal specialist review by a psychiatrist or paediatrician.
People experiencing eating disorders often go into debt due to the cost of treatment. They may also spend time away from work. This new rebated treatment plan gives patients access to affordable care.
Our GPs would love to help. If you or a loved one are struggling with an eating disorder, feel free to chat with any of our understanding doctors. You can make an appointment online or by calling us on (03) 8579 6838.